Gurkhas were initially enrolled into the Royal Engineers in September 1948 when a Gurkha Training Squadron RE was shaped. The British Officers were drawn from the Corps of Royal Engineers, first King George’s Own Bengal Sappers and Miners, second Queen Victoria’s Own Madras Sappers and Miners, third Royal Bombay Sappers and Miners and Gurkha Officers and Other Ranks were drawn from second King Edward VII’s Own Goorkhas (The Sirmoor Rifles), sixth Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles and tenth Princess Mary’s Own Gurkha Rifles
Gurkhas were initially enrolled into the Royal Engineers in September 1948 when a Gurkha Training Squadron RE was shaped. The British Officers were drawn from; The Corps of Royal Engineers, first King George’s Own Bengal Sappers and Miners, second Queen Victoria’s Own Madras Sappers and Miners and third Royal Bombay Sappers and Miners.
In October 1948, 67 Field Squadron Royal Engineers was shaped at Kluang in Malaya. 68 Field Squadron Royal Engineers was brought at Kluang up in April 1950. Later around the same time both Squadrons moved to Hong Kong.
The Regimental Headquarters of 50 Field Engineer Regiment Royal Engineers was shaped in Hong Kong in June 1951. The Regiment moved to Malaya as the seventeenth Gurkha Divisional Engineers to support operations then in advancement amid the Malayan Emergency. The Regiment was based at Sungei Besi close Kuala Lumpur from 1955 – 1961.
The Regiment turned out to be a piece of the Brigade of Gurkhas in September 1955, and by Royal Warrant, on 28 September 1955, its assignment was changed to “The Gurkha Engineers” and its own particular top identification and badge were embraced.
The Gurkha Engineers were intensely dedicated to Borneo from the Brunei revolt in December 1962 until the end of the Confrontation in August 1966.
In 1977, the Royal title of The Queen’s Gurkha Engineers was conceded by Her Majesty the Queen.
Since those early days, the Regiment has seen and been a piece of numerous progressions. After many years in South East Asia as a part of the Hong Kong Garrison and on operations in Malaya and Borneo, The QGE stay settled in Invicta Park and is completely coordinated into life in 36 Engineer Regiment and the town of Maidstone. The nearby reconciliation with the Corps of Royal Engineers permits The QGE to have full impact in all parts of Army life including sent operations.
69 Gurkha Field Squadron
Since January 2012, 69 Gurkha Field Squadron has re-assigned and arranged and deployed to Afghanistan in its new part as a Search Squadron. The preparation load for this has been colossal with almost 90 troopers and officers being prepared in High Assurance Search and different part particular prerequisites. It was also involved in Mastiff driving, directing war zone emergency treatment and first aid administration. Likewise assist in different mission practices both inside of the UK and Jordan.
70 Gurkha Field Squadron
The last Search Teams from 70 Squadron came back from Afghanistan, having effectively finished their organization on Op HERRICK 19. It regarded at long last see the Squadron finish and back in Invicta Park Barracks, prepared to shed the mantle of Search for good and proceed onward in new Force Support limit.
As the Squadron re-assigned far from Search and into Force Support, it went on a Field Training Exercise to Salisbury Plain. The entire squadron profited from the activity, as it turned our consideration back to a more conventional part than that which has been required in Afghanistan.
|1.||president||Major General T R Urch OBE|
|2.||CHairman||Colonel M P Carter|
|3.||Hon secretary||Lieutenant Colonel J F Wheeley MBE|
|4.||Hon treasurer||M F H Adler Esq|
|5.||editor of magazine/ website||Major A Gooch RE|